The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/are-they-im-having-a-hard-time-wrapping-my-30918893.aspx

Subject:  Re: A new breed of debt collector. Date:  10/11/2013  4:11 PM
Author:  Windowseat Number:  307320 of 308557

Are they? I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain fully around the business model. I'm gonna help you now, and you're gonna promise me a payment plan when you get back on your feet? That sort of thing?

In the clip the guy said they were getting better results. Much better results. And yes, the payment plan is part of it. That's the point behind helping them job hunt: once the person has money they can start paying their debts. As I said, they're a debt collection agency. They are assigned to collect on debts that aren't being paid. But they try to look at the reason the debts aren't being paid, and if lack of a job is part of the problem they will help.

They'll also negotiate with other debtors to make sure that the payments are within reason, and although it wasn't mentioned, I suspect that they also help people create a workable budget.

Nancy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us