The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/retiring-55-30921624.aspx

Subject:  Retiring @ 55 Date:  10/14/2013  9:54 AM
Author:  mstrlucky74 Number:  73526 of 76398

Looking for some advice. I am 39 and my wife is 34. I make about $130k a year and my wife about $30k. We have no children and don't plan on having any. We have mortgage in which we owe about $350k @4%. We are only 5 years into it. I currently have a 401k with about $160k in it and a Roth IRA with about 10K and about 10K liquid savings? MY wife just started this job(Cablevision) about a year ago and she contributes very little to the 401k( they match) but she is going to increase it. I am sure we are a bit behind in the savings/investments area if we are looking to retire at 55 and most would say we have no chance but this is why I am writing this. I know a big concern might be health insurance but it just came to me that if I retire at 55 and she is still working for another 5-6 years I may be able to go on her health plan but then again I might want her to retire when I do(at 55). Looking for a some advice as to what changes I/we should make now etc. Thanks very much.

Wow I just read what I wrote and it is almost laughable thinking I can retire at 55. But you know what it's REALLY sad that most people work from the age of about 15 until say 65-70 then retire and have health issues and/or only enjoy 5-10 years of not working before you meet your maker. Thanks
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us