The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-problem-with-having-other-than-quotnatural-30921640.aspx

Subject:  Re: RMD before death? Date:  10/14/2013  10:12 AM
Author:  Wradical Number:  119307 of 121112

The problem with having other than "natural persons" names as IRA beneficiaries is that the entire account must be distributed within 5 years after death of the owner."
=========================
I dislike questioning one of the resident pros, but I do not think that this is accurate. I believe that the "stretch" provsiions are stillavailableif the trust is a "qualified trust".

REgards, JAFO

========================
You are correct. The requirements for a trust to function as a beneficiary (I don't think the regs. use the term "qualified trust" for this provision) are described in Regs. 1.401-(a)(9)-4, which is a series of Q&As.

And the more plain-English translation is found in IRS Pub 590, on page 36.

While the rule does remain that a beneficiary must be a natural person, these provisions allow for a trust beneficiary to be treated as the beneficiary of the IRA. For multiple beneficiaries, you use the age of the oldest one. The separate share rule is not allowed.

The 5-year rule DOES apply to an estate.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us