The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/to-your-point-i-cant-disagree-but-i-also-30923248.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retiring @ 55 Date:  10/15/2013  7:44 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  73588 of 75611

To your point, I can't disagree. But I also wouldn't assume no benefits, either.

When I was in my earlier planning and saving phase similar to the OP, I never counted any SS benefits in my calculations to determine my savings goal for retirement. I find that to be a more conservative approach even though I do agree that there will be some SS for the OP. Since it is so far out into the future and we cannot know how SS will be handled at the time of the OP's retirement, I think erring on the conservative side makes sense.

As retirement approaches, the OP will have a much better handle on what might be available, and can adjust the plans accordingly.

I am within a few years of pulling the retirement trigger, and only just started to count SS into my calculations, which now also include a much more detailed and realistic retirement budget so that I can know my money will last.

I think it behooves the OP to consider all of this, and based on his own risk tolerance, decide how much of SS to include in his savings goal calculations, if any.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us