The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Loss carry forward Date:  10/15/2013  5:36 PM
Author:  foo1bar Number:  119320 of 127748

Just because a return goes through one year, ...

I absolutely agree with that.
For that matter has the IRS even really started sending out letters for 2012 or doing in depth audits?
Isn't today the last day to file a 2012 return (with extension)?
I thought I saw posts on here around March 2013 about IRS letters due to 2011 tax forms.
So "goes through" probably just means that it made it past the "did he do his arithmetic correctly?" checks - not that it isn't still subject to "please provide documentation for item X on your return"

If it were me, I'd file the amended return and pay the $10 (or whatever)

Yeah it sucks that you don't get to take the loss as a deduction - but look at it this way - you wouldn't have had to pay taxes on any gains <$250K either.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us