The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-statement-says-stuff-like-quotuptoquot-30926587.aspx

Subject:  Re: Social Security Income/Benefit Date:  10/16/2013  3:55 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  119335 of 121219

The statement says stuff like "upto" $1600/month per child, "upto" 1600 for spouse caring for child, and 'max benefit' of $4356/month per family.

Just trying to plan some things out precisely and want to make sure if there are stipulations with the "upto".

Well, yes, it depends on how much you've been paying in over the years, just like for retirement benefits. So you've been paying in the maximum, but you're not that old, it might not be the maximum benefit. They'd all have to apply and get a detailed calculation, I think.

Also...if spouse has $140k in investment income, I'm wondering if that negates any of the SS benefits to spouse and kids.
Cb

I don't think so, but she will definitely be paying tax on the maximum 85% of the SS benefits. Survivors' benefits are taxed - or not - with the same rules as retirement benefits.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us