The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/brucecm-just-out-of-my-back-pocket-the-numbers-30930250.aspx

Subject:  Re: Social Security Income/Benefit Date:  10/18/2013  2:51 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  119361 of 121585

BruceCM: Just out of my back pocket, the numbers you've shown from your page at the SS web site don't sound right. The rules clearly state that caretaker and eligible children are 50% of PIA, and PIA is defined as your benefit at FRA. According to SS, the max benefit for 2013 is about $2550, as I recall. So I have no idea how they came up with $1,948 per child and caretaker spouse (which would mean a PIA of about $3,900/mo) or a PIA of about $2,600 for your spouse at FRA....unless they grew your current year survivor PIA at inflation for the next 27 years.
=========================
That doesn't sound right for survivors' benefits. The annual statement I get from SSA shows estimated survivors' benefits quite a bit higher than my projected retirement amount. OR are you looking for the benefits for young children of a retiree? That's a different matter, and that would be lower.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us