The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/first-my-condolences-on-your-mothers-death-30930511.aspx

Subject:  Re: Order of paying off? Date:  10/18/2013  4:46 PM
Author:  hrse Number:  307366 of 308782

First, my condolences on your mother's death.

Thank you.

Second, you did not mention when your mother died, but from what you have written, I am concerned that you may not understand the rules with respect to inherited IRAs.

She died in 2005. I had the very good fortune to work for a CPA during the tax season for a couple years after college. I went back and received a very detailed lecture on the rules for Bene IRAs. The period between when Mom died and I rolled it over took almost nine months.

My broker credits me for the reason why Scottrade now offers a Bene IRA. They had not when my mom passed, and I coplained to my local broker, to corporate phone line and I wrote a letter to the president. Six months later while still trying to find a broker to put the IRA, my broker called me and asked if I wanted to open one there :)

It makes me nervous to read "I am taking the min withdraw most years". The "stretch" rule (for withdrawals over lifetime of heir) requires RMDs every year, otherwsie you default to the five year rule.

Poor choice of words on my part.

I take the min withdraw most years.
Some years I take more than the min.
I always take at least the min.

Thanks for watching out for me :)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us