The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/is-it-possible-to-take-my-inherited-portion-of-30931377.aspx

Subject:  Re: Inherited IRA + NYC Tax-Deferred Annuity Date:  10/19/2013  11:17 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  119370 of 121219

Is it possible to take my inherited portion of the TDA, convert it to an inherited IRA, and then combine that inherited IRA into one account with the inherited IRA already at Vanguard?

Tax law allows, but does not require, the plan to do a direct transfer into an inherited IRA, so part of the answer depends on what they say. If they do such a transfer tax law does not allow you, a non-spouse, to roll it anywhere or make any contributions to it (Pub 590. p. 25).

Your Required Minimum Distributions begin next year unless you choose to take the entire amount within 5 years. See the discussion beginning on page 37 of Pub 590. While you must calculate the RMD for each IRA separately, I see nothing that prohibits you from taking that amount from whatever combination of accounts you choose.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us