The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Dependents, divorce decrees, and custody Date:  10/23/2013  5:44 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  119398 of 127613

In the case of kid away at college (or even HOME, going to nearby college), is it providing over5 50% of his/her support that determines whether a parent can claim the dependent exemption?

No. You're thinking of the old (pre-2004) rules. For children under 19 (24 if full-time students) it's strictly time when choosing between the parents. Temporary absences, such as away at college, count as time spent with the custodial parent.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us