The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-here-you-seem-to-be-against-asking-homeowners-30940228.aspx

Subject:  Re: What a kick in the face Date:  10/24/2013  4:04 PM
Author:  inparadise Number:  126459 of 127815

But here you seem to be against asking homeowners to pay the true cost of their flood insurance,...

Would be nice if that were actually true. However, being someone who actively is in the market for waterfront properties, I can tell you that my personal experience has been that flood insurance costs are all over the map. Properties that survived 500 year floods without impact costing more in flood insurance than a property downstream that had flood waters up to the ceilings.

And the verbiage on the FEMA websites make it sound as though a rate will be grandfathered once it is put in place, that a new buyer will inherit the previous owner's rate. This was at least the case when I tried to buy a place a few years ago, where the flood insurance rate would have increased from $300 to $6,500/year with our purchase. When I pointed the grandfather clause in the FEMA website to FEMA, I was basically told not to expect logic from the gov't. Fema was going to do what it wanted to do.

IP
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us