The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dh-and-i-thought-we-were-going-to-go-the-gulf-30942206.aspx

Subject:  Re: Buying Retirement PLace in Fl Date:  10/25/2013  5:55 PM
Author:  isewquilts2 Number:  126489 of 127683

DH and I thought we were going to go the Gulf Coast beachfront condo route, too (although not in FL). We had cash, and were about 5 years from retirement, so our situation was a bit different than yours.

However....we looked at lots of condos, but once we finally crunched the numbers and what our wants and needs were, we decided to buy a home. We wanted a neighborhood, we wanted a small yard, and we decided we didn't want the risk and cost of being directly on the ocean. Then the gulf oil spill hit, property values really took a nosedive, and we ended up with a 2100 sq ft home built in 2007, about 5 miles from the ocean, list price under 100K. Our home has almost doubled in value, and we are very happy we made the choice we did.

My comment is that what looks good now, may not fit your needs 20 years from now. Wait until you are closer to retirement to make this decision.

Just my 2 cents.

isewquilts
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us