The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Buying Second House for Parents Date:  10/28/2013  8:13 PM
Author:  katiewa Number:  119419 of 127753

...30 states required children to provide support for indigent parents....

Had never heard of this before, so did some quick looking. Fortunately, Idaho did away with this law 1-2 years ago. For any of you with parent issues, you might want to check the statutes of the state in which your parents reside and, if necessary, talk with a lawyer and start building the case for why you should have no financial liability for your parents--just in case someone decides to start enforcing these laws rigorously.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us