The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotwe-cannot-even-buy-someone-who-has-worked-30949647.aspx

Subject:  Re: Emergency Fund Date:  10/30/2013  10:03 PM
Author:  InconclusiveFool Number:  307446 of 308232

"We cannot even buy someone who has worked for 24 straight hours a sandwich and a soda. I find that profoundly wrong. I am determined to change it. And though I have found a way to get a guy a nap before he has to go back to work, I still can’t buy him a sandwich. Incredibly frustrating."

Correct, other than per diem earned while on approved travel orders, appropriated funds cannot be used to buy food with very limited exceptions.

"2. Food: Buying food for individual employees (who are not away from their official duty station on travel status) generally does not materially contribute to an agency’s mission performance. As a result, food is generally considered a personal expense, and appropriated funds are legally unavailable for such expenses. See Department of The Army—Claim of the Hyatt Regency Hotel, B 230382, Dec. 22, 1989 (unpub.) (determining coffee and donuts to be an unauthorized entertainment expense). It may be permissible to use appropriated funds for food, at some types of events, for some types of personnel, under the following very limited circumstances."

www.army.mil/fmwrc/docs/FISCAL%20LAW%20v02.doc
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us