The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/republicans-who-insisted-that-the-dmv-only-have-30950013.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tear That Lady Down, Boys! Date:  10/31/2013  8:40 AM
Author:  Stonewashed Number:  1907890 of 1977252

Republicans who insisted that the DMV only have two employees, that they open only on Sundays and Wednesdays for two hours, that no computers be allowed, that all forms be filled out in quadruplicate, individually, that applications be printed with invisible ink, that road tests occur only on sunny days and only all the way across the state, that no vans, SUVs, or station wagons be allowed, and that expensive private driving instructors be required for driver instruction.

Not according to IT experts, who in many respects were for Obamacare, even worked on it, burning both ends of the candle trying to get it done, and then quit.

They say the blame is squarely on idiots.

This guy sums it up pretty well

I was affiliated with this project pretty closely for a while. A large part of the issue is born from statute and having to put together a complete jigsaw puzzle of a law by a date that was likely entirely motivated by politics. Another issue was inefficient government processes, and way too many people touching way too much. Yet another issue was that I did not meet one convincing or real programmer (forget about a programmer with a health IT/policy background). All I saw were a bunch of hack suits who carried the latest IT proj. management manuals - not impressed at all. These hacks ultimately became the managers of IT contracts. They know nothing about what the policy means, therefore they know nothing about what the business requirements accomplish. Therefore they have no grand vision of how to tie together the technical architecture on a macro level, other than what can be presented in nice PP presentations or Microsoft Project reports. Therefore, they could never provide any real oversight of the development and installation across multiple agencies (who have their own suits, IT managers, and contractors). So by the time everyone realized the real scope of the project in terms of operability with sooo many stakeholders, there was little money, little time, and little resources. I mean, I really could go on, but you all have essentially confirmed what I suspected/expected. It's not surprising that the homepage is poop, as I'm sure some details were overlooked. I do think that there are larger issues yet to be unraveled, and I don't know if there is the bandwidth and expertise to address a spread of wildfires. IT project management is a joke. ...

Let's try to remember that what we have is closest to the Republican vision (the Heritage Institute and Mitt Romney) rather than the Democratic vision (single payer.) It seems disingenuous, to out it politely, to therefore accept the Republican criticism of the Rube Goldberg machine that is their own design, rather than the far simpler one which is already in existence at the VA, at Medicare, and in countries around the world.

Well, if my memory serves me correctly, a certain poster by the name of Mr. Cynic said several times any universal healthcare should be designed after the VA model.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us