The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jerryabquotpublic-transit-is-very-good-and-30950871.aspx

Subject:  Re: FOX "News" Knows Wazzup Date:  10/31/2013  1:43 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  703362 of 753960

jerryab:"Public transit is very good and fairly inexpensive. Not so in the US."

If you live in NYC or Wash DC or Boston area or hundreds of other cities you can have nice mass transit.

My nephew and wife in DC gave up their car. Didn't need it. My niece in Brooklyn never had a car. rode mass transit...and even skateboarded to work at times.

Here, we have a CHOICE of where we want to live, instead of being crammed into some teeny apartment in Europe on a busy street or neighborhood piled one on top of each other.

------

jerryab:No surprise. France has a relatively large population compared to its land area. And it has been inhabited for millennia. The US has only been occupied by a growing population since the 15th century."

You must have been reading Goofy's revised history of the world.

from Wiki

Cahokia was the largest and most influential urban settlement in the Mississippian culture which developed advanced societies across much of what is now the Southeastern United States, beginning more than 500 years before European contact.[5] Cahokia's population at its peak in the 1200s was among the largest cities in the world, and its ancient population would not be surpassed by any city in the United States until the late 18th century.

You need to revisit your history. Stop reading Goofy's revised Progressive History of the World

Since they didn't have mass transit back in the 1700s and 1800s it is irrelevant, anyway, isn't it?

In nearly every US city in the 1900s, there were mass transit lines. Lynchburg VA had a nice trolley system. It went bust in the 1940s....as did many systems that came out of the 'progressive' Great Depression of the 30s.....and into the 40s....and the post WW2 boom in private car ownership did them in. They were replaced by bus lines, and folks moved out of crowded city neighborhoods to the 'suburbs.

I can't help it if in France people live on top of each other and are crammed in in tiny apartments.

You realize probably near 100 million left Europe and headed to the US to get away from that poverty and lack of opportunity?

--------
I'll take the US any day. If you want to live crammed in, go to NYC or other 'inner cities' like Newark, Camden, Baltimore, Wash DC, Miami, Dallas, Denver......Boston....Providence....Chicago....

They all have 'good mass transit' systems.

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us