The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-the-same-reasons-they-made-it-dysfunctional-30950911.aspx

Subject:  Re: Never say die. Attack on Obama(care) Date:  10/31/2013  2:03 PM
Author:  Stonewashed Number:  1908039 of 1977407

For the same reasons they made it dysfunctional to start with: they work on incentive programs based on short term profits.

We wouldn't have scores of millions of uninsured Americans if the insurance industry wanted it any other way.

The ACA will, for the first time in my adult lifetime finally be based on the ability to competitively shop

In your dreams maybe. Take a look see. Same companies using different names and different networks to insure the plebs, the old name to continue to insure everyone else who don't want to be in those exchanges (including certain government workers who claim for them to do so would be illegal....NOT, but sounds good) and justify turning the screw on everyone else.

They wouldn't engage in that kind of repeated effort unless their paymasters wanted it repealed. Their paymasters in this case are the insurance industry, the same industry that fought Hillary 20 years ago, and fought so hard and spent so many millions to stop it from becoming law and who financed appeal to the supreme court level.

The insurance industry didn't fight Hillary so much as President Clinton's task force ended up being absolutely useless.

Despite all the attention it received, however, the President's Task Force -- consisting of members of the cabinet and several other senior officials -- proved to be useless for reaching decisions and drafting the plan. It immediately became the subject of litigation and dissolved at the end of May without making any recommendations. Bill Clinton actually never gave up control of the policy-making process, and the work fell to a small team of advisors and analysts that Magaziner directed. Beginning in March and continuing in a stop-and-go fashion until September, the decision meetings about the plan took place outside the formal structure of the task force, usually in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, and the president ran the meetings himself.

My knowledge of this process is first-hand. Magaziner first brought me into the internal discussions of health policy during the 1992 campaign after reading the manuscript of a book I had written, The Logic of Health Care Reform (Grand Rounds Press, 1992), which developed the idea of managed competition within a budget. As a senior White House health-policy advisor working under Magaziner, I took part in the decision meetings and presented some of the issues to the president. The first lady was an active force in these discussions, but there was never any question that the president was in charge. We took our guidance from him. That, of course, was how it should have been (who else but the president ought to make such decisions?), except that many reporters and the public thought that Bill Clinton had handed over the policy to Hillary and that she would report back to him, which was not the case.

http://prospect.org/article/hillarycare-mythology

Furthermore the left wing were having their own hissy fits.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us