The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-talking-to-mom-last-week-she-said-that-30951802.aspx

Subject:  Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date:  10/31/2013  10:01 PM
Author:  PolymerMom Number:  877694 of 886558

In talking to mom last week, she said that although they did travel, they never splurged. On cruise ships they booked cheap, windowless rooms. They always flew coach on very early or very late flights, took buses, stayed in cheap hotel rooms, etc. She did express that they were so used to being frugal that they never stopped even when they could afford it. She wishes they would have lived it up more, while dad was here to enjoy it.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Frugality can become an ingrained habit. MDH turns 70 tomorrow (11/1). We just got back from our first trip to Europe (Tuscany). We made reservations in spring and had already paid our trip costs. We weren't sure we'd be able to enjoy it. (We did have trip insurance.)

I'd mashed the medial meniscus in my right knee in mid-August. Physical therapy did its magic and I just needed to take it easy and not jog up hillsides <tongue firmly in cheek - I'm 67 w/ asthma>.

His hip implant took a turn for the worse two weeks before we left. There was a week of frantic searching for appropriate meds for him before we left. I'm happy to report that they worked. (The muscle relaxant was a big win!)

He's feeling his mortality, especially since he experienced severe pain in his only hand two days after we returned. (Diagnosed as gout. He's already had several bouts of kidney stones. I expect that they'll up his dose of Allopurinol soon.)

I'm happy to say we both thoroughly enjoyed the trip - especially the Tuscan food and history.

I pushed for the Business Class flight option at twice the airfare. It was well worth it in terms of comfort and enjoyability!

PM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us