The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-parents-traveled-soon-after-my-dad-retired-at-30952387.aspx

Subject:  Re: I'll never be fashionable... Date:  11/1/2013  11:05 AM
Author:  Hardboiled Number:  877703 of 884951

My parents traveled soon after my Dad retired at 65. (Mom is still working full time at 87!) They worried about spending money they might want or need in the future, but ended up taking fabulous trips. My Dad's health declined, and there really weren't too many years when he enjoyed travel. After he didn't want to travel, he'd come to my house when my Mom traveled, and he really seemed to enjoy that. He died at 77, but it made him happy to think about returning to Brazil, where he was stationed during WWII, and London, Brussels, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, you get the drift!

Now my DH is dealing with loss of energy and a huge desire to retire. He's interested in travel, but I don't know how long he will want to travel. We're going on a cruise next October and to see plays in New York this December. I've got lots of energy, and have no plans to retire. I'm thinking about going back to school and having another career!

Gail
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us