The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  IRA to ROTH conversion Date:  11/1/2013  11:22 AM
Author:  StockGoddess Number:  119431 of 127613

Hello All

I just lost my job a few weeks ago and am thinking of ways to make lemonade from these lemons...

I have a rather sizable 401K that's going to get rolled into an IRA.

If two people are married, and one has a job, and the other doesn’t, but each have separate IRA’s…could they file taxes “married filing separately” and the unemployed person move their regular IRA to ROTH (under the taxable limit) without incurring taxes on that money?

Do you think that would put us any further ahead than married-filing-jointly?

Just thinking ahead.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us