The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/easy-for-you-to-shrug-off-the-ones-who-lose-their-30952475.aspx

Subject:  Re: The ACA, a chart Date:  11/1/2013  11:37 AM
Author:  WendyBG Number:  1908247 of 1977319

Easy for you to shrug off the ones who lose their choice of a "substandard" plan and are forced to buy a more expensive one.

Why should I have to pay for pediatric dental care and pregnancy/ childbirth converage? Why shouldn't I be allowed to take the risk of higher deductibles to reduce my per-month cost?

DH and I are in the "small category" of people whose health insurance costs will rise under the ACA. We are both healthy and have had catastrophic plans for many years. Under the ACA, our health insurance is going uu 45%! We will be forced to pay $1100 per month! That is as much as a mortgage would be!

In WA State, one which is being held up as a success, the vast majority of ACA signups are Medicaid. TPTB seem to be surprised that few paying customers are signing up. Too bad that the Medicaid subscribers will be a drain on the system. Why aren't the rich buyers of private health insurance signing up?

DUH! How many families can afford an extra mortgage? How many families can suddenly cough up hundreds of dollars extra per month for any expenditure at all, let alone one they might not need (health insurance)?

There will be a nasty unintended consequence. By removing the choice of lower-cost "substandard" catastrophic policies, families may be forced to drop health insurance altogether even if they have to pay a penalty.

The U.S. needs a single-payer system. Barring that, the U.S. needs complete market freedom for the insurance industry to create a wide variety of policies.

Obamacare appears to be the worst of all worlds by pandering to the insurance companies and forcing everyone into the same government-mandated mold.

Wendy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us