The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: IRA to ROTH conversion Date:  11/1/2013  12:53 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  119434 of 127533

If two people are married, and one has a job, and the other doesn’t, but each have separate IRA’s…could they file taxes “married filing separately” and the unemployed person move their regular IRA to ROTH (under the taxable limit) without incurring taxes on that money?

The funds converted are taxable. If you convert a sizable 401K there will be income taxes.

You have been employed most of this year. Unless you are very low income, you already have taxable income for 2013. Also, remember that unemployment is taxable.

As previously recommended, run the numbers and see the results.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us