The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-take-away-from-skimming-it-is-that-30952755.aspx

Subject:  Re: Emergency Fund Date:  11/1/2013  1:19 PM
Author:  cabinsmama Number:  307455 of 308475

My take-away from skimming it is that "MC" is a highly-motivated, career-minded individual that is probably looking to climb the management ladder.

Man, I didn't get that at all. I'm seeing MC as someone who, because of her belief in the agency mission, and skills, abilities experience, etc., is pulled up the ladder. And people like that will go on up, because they feel they have what it takes to accomplish that mission. The outcome becomes more important that the pay or the perks.

There's probably some ego in that, but there's a lot of people in high-stress, high stakes jobs who see their work as a calling, not a paycheck. I;m not saying that's necessarily correct...even in those places, people die or retire or quit and the place doesn't fold. But it does feel good to be the one that gets things done, that always gets it right. When someone is that mission-focused, it's very easy to put off taking leave, or taking care of themselves.

I used to remind myself that if I got hit by a bus on the way home, stuff would still get done. Just not by me. My mantra for a number of years when pulled in too many directions was "just do what you would do if I got hit by a bus." That at least got people thinking about alternatives.

cm
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us