The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-other-problem-we-have-is-ethics-rules-that-30953602.aspx

Subject:  Re: Emergency Fund Date:  11/1/2013  8:59 PM
Author:  cabinsmama Number:  307460 of 308881

The other problem we have is ethics rules that prohibit employees from spending $ on each other. We get annual ethics training that goes into excrutiating detail about gifts and exchnging things of value.

It's so complicated that I generally don't buy anything for anyone to be safe; as a supervisor, I face even more scrutiny. Why risk a 30+ year career on some stupid ethics violation - not worth the risk.

Hmm...I guess I framed it differently in my head. Why risk my sense of right and wrong over a stupid job? Any place that would fire me for buying a sandwich or a token birthday, wedding, baby shower or Christmas gift for a subordinate, realistically, I wouldn't have lasted long there anyway.

I was always confident, I guess, that I could successfully fight any ethics violation charge. Or that it wouldn't be worth anyone's while to file such a charge.

Guess there's no Secret Santa in your workplace. I can see that as being a positive. But I'd hate to think I couldn't treat my unit to lunch once in a while.

cm
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us