The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-thins-cm001-understands-we-are-a-republic-30953709.aspx

Subject:  Re: FOX "News" Knows Wazzup Date:  11/1/2013  10:41 PM
Author:  CM001 Number:  703666 of 749092

I don't thins CM001 understands we are a republic of sovereign states or at least that's what our founding fathers intended.

I think you don't understand the meaning of the word Sovereign. There is no "sovereign" or "independent" language in constitution. When the article of confederation was replaced by US constitution, the federal government is established as sovereign entity.

The constitution starts as

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

It is We the people.. not we the federation of states. The sovereign states are gone. The states are not Sovereign and constitution explicitly makes sure of it by delegating the following to Federal government

- Currency
- Army
- foreign relations

and explicitly prohibiting states from
- signing treaties with other countries.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us