The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/assuming-you-charge-the-car-mostly-overnight-this-30966426.aspx

Subject:  Re: electric car charger credit Date:  11/10/2013  7:34 AM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  119466 of 121478

Assuming you charge the car mostly overnight this could work without inconvenience.

I often run my washer or drier overnight (they shut off automatically when done). Not so much to save on electricity, but to save time: there is one of me in this house and I have 200 amp 240 volt electrical service. I can run my 50A electric stove and my 30A electric drier at the same time anyway. Mostly, I have my washer start at 5 or 6 AM and when I get up, I put the stuff in the drier. If I will need something in the morning, I wash in the late afternoon and put the stuff in the drier before going to bed. My power panel setup is pretty complicated already as I have a 12 KW natural gas fueled backup generator here and so in addition to the normal power panel is a box with a serious automatic power transfer relay and associated electronics, and another box that cuts off my electric stove and electric drier when the backup generator is in use. If I am careful, I can turn on the drier exclusive-OR the stove top but not the oven.

I do not have a plug-in car (2011 Toyota Prius). I live in New Jersey, so I would have no use for a Tesla.

Any idea how long it takes to charge a car like a Tesla when fully discharged to full charge from 240 volt supply?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us