The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-nice-to-be-free-of-the-tyranny-of-the-mall-30970208.aspx

Subject:  Re: Thanksgiving is dead Date:  11/12/2013  5:24 PM
Author:  texirish Number:  438298 of 459181

It's nice to be free of the Tyranny of the Mall. I will never go back.

I took that step with the extended family three years ago, and it's liberating. Made clear we expected the same recipocal behavior. Still see everyone during the Holiday Season, and haven't detected any ill feelings. Waited until their grandkids were grown.

Our grandkids (10 & 13) still get theirs. And I continue to gift other family members when it's something they need, or will enjoy, but not tied to a season. I do it when it's timely, not when there's social pressure from the season. Our son-in-law got presents last month, because he has taken up woodworking, and they would help him then - when he started building new furniture for his office, not at Christmas or his birthday next year. Our daughter got her present for her 40th birthday 3 years early, because she knew what she wanted (a special car) and I saw no reason for her not to enjoy it at the time. Nothing for Holiday season or interim birthdays since then - she's happy and so are we.

I think I'd finally gotten tired of being a target of those companies depending upon the social pressure of the season to make my decisions. As they raised the pressure, I decided "enough."
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us