The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/did-you-or-the-kids-have-substantial-30979561.aspx

Subject:  Re: 529 plans Date:  11/17/2013  3:13 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  119542 of 121585

Did you or the kids have substantial non-retirement account savings? What in the EFC formula tripped things up, or was it the school they were going to? It is a strange fact of college life that you can go to an expensive school like Princeton and pay little, or a state school, particularly and out of state state school, and pay through the nose.

The kids didn't have much in the way of non-retirement assets, but yes, we have significant non-retirement assets, so maybe that was it. Either way, I'd love to hear how it works out for you because I would think that being retired would also be treated differently than when I was out of work because there was an expectation that I would return to work.

That said, I've never been under the impression that only saving in retirement accounts is sufficient to fund our retirement, and that's why we have significant non-retirement assets. I think you're younger than me, so IRA's and 401k's already existed when you joined the workforce, where they did not exist yet when I started working.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us