The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-i-recently-had-time-off-furlough-and-was-30979875.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirees Doing What? Date:  11/17/2013  9:04 PM
Author:  rharmelink Number:  18749 of 19224

But I recently had time off (furlough) and was amazed at how enjoyable it was. Just did simple things - chores, walking, actually chatting with neighbors who were out and about etc.

In 1989, I had a back injury. I ended up on and off work for nearly a year, working part-time for a while. I loved working part-time, since I had more spare time for the things I liked to do.

About a year after I was back full time, I asked if working part-time was a possibility. After a bit, my boss said it was OK. I ended up working part-time from 1993 to 2006 (when they wanted me to come back to work full time). Over most of that 13-year period, I was only working 20 hours per week (the minimum I could go and still keep my benefits).

I often took 2-week vacations, using only a week of vacation time from work, because I could concentrate hours on the days just before and after the vacation.

I was lucky to have such a nice setup.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us