The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/convert-from-traditional-401k-to-roth-401k-30988449.aspx

Subject:  Convert from Traditional 401k to Roth 401k? Date:  11/22/2013  11:01 AM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  25161 of 25316

I started with a new employer in July and enrolled in their 401k plan, the first to which I've had access in about 5 years. It's also the first time I've had access to a Roth 401k in addition to a Traditional 401k. At the time, I had thought that the company matching contribution, for which I will be eligible in January 2014, only applied to the Traditional 401k. But when reviewing benefits information for 2014, I learned that the matching contribution applied to the Roth as well.

By the end if the year, I will have made around $2000 in Traditional 401k contributions and I am about 20 years from retirement. My AGI will likely put me in a 25% tax bracket. So the question is, should I contact Fidelity (the plan administrator) about converting the account from a Traditional 401k to a Roth 401k? I am pretty sure the fund investment options are the same, and the added tax liability should be no more than $500. I figure if I am ever to do this, before the end of the year would be cleanest from an administrative perspective.

Fuskie
Who is also wondering if a Traditional company matching contribution is any more or less valuable than a Roth company matching contribution...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us