The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-still-several-years-away-from-ss-but-i-think-31000336.aspx

Subject:  Re: What age to take SS payments? Date:  12/1/2013  10:05 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  73864 of 75540

I'm still several years away from SS, but I think waiting until age 70 makes compelling investment sense given the guaranteed 8% annual return for waiting. (Assuming your health is good and you're likely to live until the break-even age.)

I'm in a similar place, and am debating between taking SS at full retirement age or at 70, but am not planning on taking it earlier at 62 at all. As you point out, the annual return is good, but I was also thinking that we would start taking IRA distributions when we retire, and use those years before collecting SS to reduce the holdings in our IRA so that we can also reduce our RMDs and spread out the tax hit from those.

We will have a choice between taxable accounts, IRAs and Roth IRAs, which have very little money in them due to only being able to contribute a handful of years, and my thinking has been that we start with IRAs to reduce what's in there for our future RMDs and use some of our taxable money with our Roths being left for later.

I haven't quite cranked out all the numbers yet to see how it works in our situation because it's a couple of years away, but that's my current thinking.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us