The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: What age to take SS payments? Date:  12/1/2013  11:52 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  73875 of 88520

We will have a choice between taxable accounts, IRAs and Roth IRAs, which have very little money in them due to only being able to contribute a handful of years, and my thinking has been that we start with IRAs to reduce what's in there for our future RMDs and use some of our taxable money with our Roths being left for later.

You've probably already thought of it, but you can use those earlier retirement years to convert parts of your traditional IRA to Roths. It is a bit of a balancing act between tax brackets, what you actually need to live on, and choosing between Roth conversions or ordinary investment accounts for any IRA withdrawals in excess of your needs.

I just wanted to toss the idea out there for lurkers.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us