The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/id-have-started-at-62-even-if-i-was-still-31003032.aspx

Subject:  Re: What age to take SS payments? Date:  12/3/2013  10:20 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  73889 of 75402

I'd have started at 62 even if I was still working, figuring I could always stash away some extra income.

However, we had little choice but to start at 62. (If married, check which way gives the most for the spouse -- on his or her own vs collecting against the larger one. It made a big difference to my wife.) I had been laid off at 59 and she had to quit teaching about that time because we had to take in her mom and care for her. (Her mom passed away 11 years ago.)

We're now 72 and 73, respectively, and do not regret starting early. (We might not have retired early, had we been able to go on working longer, but "maybe" doesn't count after you choose!)

However, I also have been self-managing my IRA, as I had been for years earlier, so I can balance some dividend-paying stocks (like T, BGS and some others) plus a few "fliers" for income, carefully scrutinized before buying them.

Good luck, whatever you do. Please talk directly with SS before deciding. Do NOT choose based solely on advice from a bulletin board or friends!

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us