The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/trini-i-know-you-pain-literally-messed-up-both-31003716.aspx

Subject:  Re: Oy! Tore my rotator cuff Date:  12/3/2013  3:40 PM
Author:  GWPotter Number:  18871 of 19371

Trini I know you pain literally. Messed up both shoulders in 1999 with a long ladder. Had one surgery and have had multiple trips through physical therapy.

A few items I have found work for me -

Aleve (generic is OK, but Aleve aka naproxin) is clearly better than aspirin, Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc. There is a prescription version that is 500 mg per tablet. The OTC stuff is 225 mg as I recall. It does take in the range of 2 to 4 days for the full effect to kick in.

They told me to start these exercises with a 1 pound weight - a can of condensed soup weighs 1 pound. I find lifting the weight over all is easier to keep doing year after year than those rubber tubes or bands.

Every time I have stopped the exercises, I have ended up in pain. Some times it takes longer than others. My last PT was over 2 years ago and I am still lifting my dinky little green weigh while laying on the floor watching TV.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us