The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Roth IRA and Married Filing Separately Date:  12/27/2013  4:34 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  74020 of 88533

I could also get around this limitation by contributing to a non-deductible traditional IRA and then converting it to a Roth (backdoor), no?

Yes, but only if you have no other traditional IRA accounts with pre-tax balances, including, but not limited to, SEP and rollover IRAs. If you do have other traditional IRA accounts, you will need to convert all of them to Roth IRAs (paying the appropriate taxes) in order to convert 100% of a current year contribution using the 'back-door' Roth process.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us