The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-get-the-feeling-that-what-they-faxed-over-to-you-31042781.aspx

Subject:  Re: Help with a Credit Collection Agency Date:  12/30/2013  2:20 PM
Author:  chestersakl Number:  307634 of 308853

I get the feeling that what they faxed over to you wasn't real detailed ("some" paperwork, only "shows an unpaid balance" and was "a service we used")? Stupid question, but does it even have your correct name/address on it? If not, then they need to provide a WHOLE lot more information to prove it's yours (and definitely sounds like a scam if that's the case).

I think you can even require them to show you the contract/agreement that you signed to start that service (if there was one). There's no way that a collection agency would have that (the original creditors rarely give that info to those guys), but I do believe it's a piece of paperwork they're required to have in order to have a valid collection claim (although I'm not 100% positive on that).

Plus, it surely sounds like it's way past the statute of limitations (2005 - eight years?), so you could just tell them to pound sand.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us