The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/did-you-digest-my-earlier-response-did-you-31050650.aspx

Subject:  Re: Transferring stocks to a charity after ex di Date:  1/4/2014  9:49 PM
Author:  katinga Number:  119801 of 121096

Did you digest my earlier response? Did you verify what I said in Pub 526?

I did a search of 'stock', 'dividend', 'appreciated', record date, etc., and I see where it speaks of appreciated stock. Do you have the page and column where this case is treated? Others on this thread have cast doubt on both your analysis and mine. I can see both sides of the argument, and pub. 526 does not deal with this. I would think this would rather be an SEC document of some sort.

I seem to recall some mention about the declaration of a dividend affecting the share price. So does an announcement that they've found oil that will net $40 billion a month forever. So what?

Because it was past the ex dividend date. The dividend had accrued to the shares. A major discovery/accident/etc. is not a valid comparison here.

I really don't see the source of the confusion except that you're not getting the answer you want.

Did you read the thread before posting?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us