The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-if-youre-donating-the-shares-or-making-a-31051119.aspx

Subject:  Re: Transferring stocks to a charity after ex di Date:  1/5/2014  11:35 AM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  119805 of 121565

But if you're donating the shares (or making a gift to anyone else) the ex-div. date doesn't matter, because you're not buying or selling. Whether you, or the done, is the owner on the record is a function of how fast the broker moves the securities.

If that is the case, then there should exist a rule which can be cited that says (1) sales are an exception (three days to settle) to the general rule that the owner of record is established as soon as the broker moves the securities, or (2) directed transfers are an exception (as soon as broker moves securities) to the general rule that the owner of record is established on the settlement date. The broker should be able to provide a relevant citation from their own operations manuals and/or a regulatory body (STA, FINRA, NYSE, etc.)

I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion, just stating that whenever I receive information that runs counter to what I expect, I want to see supporting documentation. For example, here on this board we often provide citations to the IRC, IRS Regs, or Tax Court decisions. The OP, as far as we know, has been relying on the verbal representations of his broker - not an infallible source.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us