The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-i-got-a-crockpot-last-year-but-havent-31052251.aspx

Subject:  Re: Stew! Date:  1/6/2014  10:39 AM
Author:  TMFHunzi Number:  714308 of 749481

Thanks! I got a crockpot last year, but haven't used it much. I don't really know what to do with it.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I own 4 crockpots plus 2 other "slowcookers/warmers" - I have a 6-7qt oval one that the handles failed on, but the warmer & the crock are fine, the 6-7qt oval one I bought to replace it, 1 4-5qt one that is both a fryer and a crockpot, and one 4qt crockpot I think my mom gave me nearly 30years ago that the crock doesn't even remove. Plus I have a rice cooker that claims to be a slowcooker too, and one of those mini crocks that keeps dips warm (those are nice!).

I use my bigger oval one the most, but I'm also feeding a lot more people - 4-6 family plus if we have guests.

Here are some of the things I'll do:

Toss in frozen meatballs with bbq sauce. Or make them Hawaiian by tossing in pineapple and teriyaki/sweet-n-sour.

Chicken parts/pork chops - add the sauce of you choice - bbq, salsa, cream of whatever,

I'll toss in pork roasts with bbq or salsa, and make pulled pork or carnitas. Same with chicken breasts.

Soups! Beans, split peas, anything with a broth and veggies with or without meat.

Stew.

Cheese/salsa/sausage dip!

The trick will be finding a crockpot that fits your family size - so with just 2, look for a smaller one unless you want lots of leftovers. I don't think you can even buy the kind where the crock doesn't remove anymore, so no worries there - the removable crocks are so awesome - Also buy the little plastic liners - it makes clean up so easy!

Always ;-)
Hunzi
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us