The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bacon-cheddar-cauliflower-chowder-8-slices-31052294.aspx

Subject:  Re: Boy, howdy! Bacon-Cheddar Cauliflower Chowde Date:  1/6/2014  11:07 AM
Author:  TMFHunzi Number:  714311 of 744879

Bacon-Cheddar Cauliflower Chowder
• 8 slices center-cut bacon, chopped (half used for garnish)
• 1/2 small onion, chopped OR 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 celery stalk, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• salt & pepper
• 4 cups shredded or grated cauliflower (1/2 large head)
• 2 Tablespoons water
• 2 Tablespoons flour
• 2 cups chicken broth, divided
• 2 cups 2% milk
• 3-4 dashes hot sauce (or more or less)
• 2-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (half used for garnish)
• 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
Instructions
• Whisk together flour and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a small bowl then set aside.
• Saute bacon in a large soup pot over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate then remove all but 1 Tablespoon drippings from the pot. Add chopped onion (if using,) celery, and garlic to the pot then season with salt and pepper and saute until vegetables are tender, about 4-5 minutes.
• Add cauliflower and onion powder (if using) to the pot then stir to combine. Add water then place a lid on top and steam cauliflower until tender, stirring a couple times, about 5-7 minutes. Add remaining chicken broth and milk then turn up heat and bring to a boil.
• Slowly whisk in flour/chicken broth mixture while stirring, then turn down heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until chowder has thickened. Turn off heat then stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese until smooth, then stir in half the cooked bacon. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce if necessary. Serve topped with remaining shredded cheese, cooked bacon, and green onions, if desired.
• NOTE: Use a food processor's chopping and grating blades to make prepping veggies and cheese a breeze!
http://iowagirleats.com/2012/09/25/bacon-cheddar-cauliflower......

arrete - just made it. Great lunch. I also added one Edwards Italian sausage

Oh yummy, this is going on my list.

I do lots of chowder type soups - just made ham and potato soup with the last of the Christmas ham. Cheeseburger soup is popular with the girls. I also make Cheesy broccoli soup quite often. And once in a while, I'll make a good Cheddar cheese soup - but that one is super rich, and it costs a small fortune in good white cheddar so it's a special request soup.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
thinks carrot ginger soup may be the next one on queue.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us