The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/collection-agency-update-31053373.aspx

Subject:  Collection Agency Update Date:  1/6/2014  10:14 PM
Author:  Volucris Number:  307651 of 308519

I posted earlier about a collection agency that showed up out of the blue with a debt they said we owed a dentist.

Patzer state this:
If you legitimately owe money and wish to make a deal to pay, never give a collector your checking account number over the phone. Collectors routinely take more money than they say they'll take.

- Never pay one cent until you have an agreement in writing stating your payment(s) will resolve the debt in full.

Well - they wanted either my checking info or credit card over the phone and they refused to provide an agreement in advance stating our payment would resolve the debt in full. Said it wasn't their "policy". I said they weren't getting a thing until they provided the document, then they called me a deadbeat and threatened to ruin my credit. Gave me an ultimatum to do it their way by tomorrow . . . .or else!

I'm not sure we owe anything at all, and the whole thing is beyond the stature of limitations anyway as far as I can tell. But, it looks as if it may get ugly.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us