The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/look-at-the-real-cost-of-medical-care-insurance-31109235.aspx

Subject:  Re: I have officially arrived! Date:  2/8/2014  12:47 PM
Author:  warrl Number:  5038 of 5084

Look at the real cost of medical-care insurance (including deductibles and copays) and make sure you still think $50K per year is sufficient. It wouldn't be unreasonable to decide that the situation is too muddled at the moment to make a decision - in which case you should continue building up your funds.

As for living in a can for a few years, we're about three months into year 4 and not tired of it. Granted, when we've been traveling 4-5 days a week for a couple weeks DW starts making noises about settling down... but when we've been parked for about six weeks she starts wanting to hit the road. You'd have to find the balance that works for you; and it will probably change over time.

I'd suggest renting an RV for a month or two, but the rental RVs are mostly small and (in my opinion) better for living *around* than living *in*. For a couple they'd replace a hotel room (and a small one at that), not a house.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us