The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-i-take-it-you-and-your-wife-take-the-full-time-31109395.aspx

Subject:  Re: I have officially arrived! Date:  2/8/2014  2:57 PM
Author:  warrl Number:  5040 of 5069

So I take it you and your wife take the full time rv'ing year by year? Did you plan on doing it this long? If not, you must really enjoy the lifestyle. Do you prefer private or state/fed RV parks? Do you spend as much time as you can visiting area attractions? Was my cost estimate of 25k per year fairly accurate?

Nah, the intent was to live in the RV for many years; but we came in aware of a risk that this might turn out to not be so good for us.

With a paid-off RV, exclusive of medical-care insurance, and with a suitable general travel plan, I think it's probably quite doable.

One problem we have is that family commitments currently require us to travel round-trip between Seattle and Montgomery every year. And DW's medical situation requires ongoing relationships with doctors, with appointments every couple months. That requires a lot of miles every year, restricts where we go, and somewhat dictates our pace when traveling.

Since our motorhome costs about 50 cents a mile just for fuel, this is expensive.

What I'd really prefer, for many reasons, is to travel round trip north to south every year, with the route slowly drifting east and west across the continent over the years; but then we might see any given relative or doctor only every decade or so, and that doesn't work for DW (particularly her pain-killers).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us