The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-looks-like-a-good-place-to-get-feedback-on-my-31116209.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investing After Retirement Date:  2/12/2014  6:04 PM
Author:  FoolishGardner Number:  74247 of 75838

This looks like a good place to get feedback on my plan for retirement (which is some years down the road) as I presently plan to continue to invest in my retirement years. If (and I know this is a very big IF) we can manage to achieve a balance of roughly $800,000 in our IRAs, my thought is that we would create our own little "mutual fund" of dividend paying stocks. If we do, does it seem to be too much to have 75 - 100 different companies? Are there that many different solid dividend paying stocks?

Right now I have a small Roth account from which I am trying to garner some experience in managing my own portfolio. From what I have experienced, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect an overall annual dividend of 3%, which would equate to $24,000 the first year on an $800,000 portfolio. The other thing I have seen is that many companies tend to increase their dividends each year, some as much as 10% or more. What starts as 3% of $800,000 may be 4% the next year. And if the market is right, the $800,000 portfolio will increase in value. If I can live off the dividens, who know what it might increase to. Even if I needed to withdraw some of the principal in the early years, it seems like this should keep us from going bankrupt - provided I make sound investment choices - and diversify.

My spouse has a small pension and will be able to draw SS in about 4 years, so this wouldn't be the only source of income. To be sure we are prepared for a downturn in the market, I plan to keep a cash reserve equal to 2 -3 years of the minimum needed to meet the bills.

Does this sound like it is too risky?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us