The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/does-it-seem-to-be-too-much-to-have-75-100-31116234.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investing After Retirement Date:  2/12/2014  6:21 PM
Author:  MisterFungi Number:  74248 of 75379

...does it seem to be too much to have 75 - 100 different companies? Are there that many different solid dividend paying stocks?

Right now I have a small Roth account from which I am trying to garner some experience in managing my own portfolio. From what I have experienced, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect an overall annual dividend of 3%...

It's terrific that you are thinking long-term. But, if I may, it sounds like you're fairly new to this stuff. Short answer is: unless you want to spend a lot of your time researching individual stocks, you can accomplish what you want with a handful of ETFs (and also save on transaction costs).

Also, you should certainly be able to do better than 3%. In "normal" times, even CDs pay more than that. We are not in normal times now; eventually, things will become more "normal."

And if for no other reason than to protect yourself from large equity swings (after all, some folks lost almost everything a few years ago), you'll want to have at least some portion of your money in bonds. That can also be accomplished with some ETFs if you don't want to spend a lot of time on homework.

Vanguard is a good place to look. But there are other places, too.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us