The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/pauleckler-it-can-be-difficult-to-actually-sign-31116926.aspx

Subject:  Re: You may be saving too much for retirement Date:  2/13/2014  7:52 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  74250 of 76418

pauleckler:

It can be difficult to actually sign on the line and resign from a job to retire. It is a major decision, which many agonize over.

Yes, but there are some of us who, for reasons they may never know, are laid off or terminated from their jobs later in their careers. THAT is unexpected, and you have to live with it. I did. I did consulting for a year or two and then finally started my SS at 62. My wife did, too, because we had to care for her mother.

Life (or s***) happens and you deal with it.

Thankfully, our SS incomes have provided much of what we need, and I have been able to withdraw chunks from my own IRA to supplement. However, if anyone knew how SMALL my IRA was, their jaws would drop and they'd say "What!? You CAN'T be retired! Impossible!"

As I have said, I have been able to keep my small IRA alive by carefully balancing dividend-paying stocks with some that grew a lot, but it's tricky.

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us