The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/1-i-think-vanguard-is-a-great-choice-but-then-31121596.aspx

Subject:  Re: Asset Allocation Date:  2/16/2014  5:52 AM
Author:  TMFHockeypop Number:  74271 of 76418

1. I think Vanguard is a great choice, but then that's where I have my non-403b funds. Good advice from others here on that, and the books they recommended are solid.

2. You have access to both Vanguard and non-Vanguard funds, many without extra fees. I keep with the Vanguard index funds for the core of my portfolio because for me they make sense, but Vanguard also has some nice managed funds as well.

3. At your age you may also want to eventually consider a self-directed IRA option. This allows you to further diversify your portfolio with ETFs and individual stocks. I create a "sandbox" of about 20% of my portfolio in which I can explore individual stocks and ETFs. AND the Vanguard ETF's are free to Vanguard users. As you reach higher dollar levels at Vanguard the stock transaction fees get smaller. The are still pretty competitive at any level.

Bob
RYR Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us