The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-seems-you-have-a-different-end-in-mind-not-31134774.aspx

Subject:  Re: Arctic Ice Date:  2/24/2014  2:28 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  445395 of 461394

It seems you have a different end in mind.

Not really. I'm putting my scientist hat on. I have a respect for the method, and the many thousands of researchers who take data, analyze data, publish results for their peers to scrutinize, go to conferences to share and discuss and defend their results, etc. All of this leads to further and further refinements, eventually reaching "the answer" that is supported by the data. It's not a fast process, but it is the most powerful method for acquiring knowledge known to man.

And I take exception to any individual who thinks they "know better". They have no basis to say that. They're either guessing or trying to rationalize their predisposed position. And in science that is not acceptable. The data is the data, and you have to deal with it whether you like it or not. That's science.

You'll note I'm not debating the data. I'm defending the scientific method. I have no "end in mind". With my background I know the method, and I understand its power. That's all I (or anyone else) need. What I want or "have in mind" is completely irrelevant to what the science tells us.

1poorguy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us