The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/one-should-not-go-to-university-or-college-if-one-31135441.aspx

Subject:  Re: Don't do this.... Date:  2/24/2014  9:33 PM
Author:  voelkels Number:  880413 of 884986

One should not go to university or college if one needs to borrow in order to pay for it. I was a student from 1962 - 1967, and again from 1972-1976 without ever having to use student educational loans at all.

Axe-u-lee, I joined the navy in 1960 and, a few years later, “Uncle” was willing to send me to college, pay most of it & me to go. The only problem was that “Uncle” owned my services for six years after I graduated or dropped out. I decided to pass on that deal and went to work on the “DEW Line” instead. I earned enough working mostly in Greenland for three years to pay for college without student (or any other) loans. I graduated in 1972 with a BS in Chemistry.

After attempting to work in the chemical industry for a number of years (my secretary was making more per week than I was in1976/77), I went back to school and got an engineering degree (BS Petroleum with a dual major in ChemE) in 1981. It would have taken another 2 semesters to get the ChemE degree so I took a job instead. If one is willing to join the military and/or show the aptitude in privet industry, it is still possible to get a college education without borrowing big bucks. It ain’t easy but it still can be done, yes.
;-)

C.J.V. – see people working 7 & 7 offshore and going to college when they are onshore for their 7 days, me
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us