The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-refrainingwith-great-difficulty-from-31135515.aspx

Subject:  Re: Don't do this.... Date:  2/24/2014  10:17 PM
Author:  WHOVPLLC Number:  880417 of 886558

I am refraining,with great difficulty, from making a snide comment, other than thanks for supporting the perpetuation of income and class inequality.

Did you work at something that paid sufficient amounts to pay for your tuition and living expenses or did your parents pay? Not to mention that the cost of a college degree in 1962 is far from the reality of tuition costs in 2013. Most people whose parents could not pay for their tuition would not be able to earn enough to support themselves and pay tuition at today's rates even at universities with lower costs.
- Wessex | Date: 2/24/2014 8:52:30 PM | Number: 880416

My parents did NOT pay for my tuition, books, or living expenses. They did did give me perhaps ten dollars per week for spending money. Every Summer I worked in a factory as a Quality Control Inspector from the middle of June to the middle of September. In that way I earned enough for Room & Board plus Fees and other incidental expenses.

I started university as an early admissions student <I was 16>, sponsored by a Physics Professor.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us